Friday 8 September 2017

Will a Nikon D7100 and 35mm Nikkor lens with extension tubes work well for getting started with macro photography?


I have just started pursuing my hobby full time and am still in the learning phase. I have a Nikon D7100 with a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.8G Lens. I would really appreciate if anyone can advise me if the 35mm would work well on the Kenko Extension tubes all fitted to the Nikon D7100 body...for starting with Macrophotography ?


At the moment, I don't want to use the reversing ring — I want to use the AF mechanism.



Answer




I have a Nikon D7000 and the DX 35mm f/1.8 and the Kenko extension tubes. Technically the answer to your question is 'yes', but practically the answer is 'no'.


The problem lies with the distance of the camera lens to the subject. The 35mm lens makes it so that your lens is practically in contact with your subject-this will throw shadows, reduce your in-focus area to almost zero (a tiny fraction of an inch), and greatly magnify movement (yours and that of the subject.)


I prefer my 105mm macro lens with the extension tubes because it gives more breathing room between you and your subject (I like to shoot bees and wasps), and it increases the depth of the in-focus area.


Experiment with your rig, use a tripod along with a cable release, the little electronic Nikon ML-L3 release, or the camera's self-timer. Use an off-camera flash if you have one, or off camera lighting. Most of all take your time and have fun doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...