Sunday 17 September 2017

focus - Why can't my dSLR take close-up photos?


I am relatively new to DSLR cameras, so I apologize for any potential ignorance. Since I have been using my Canon T3i, every time I attempt to take a close-up photo, the camera does not auto adjust and take the shot. I get red square dots that show in live mode or a blinking green dot in the viewfinder.


I have searched around trying to find answers, but I haven't found one yet. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?



Answer



You are just too close to your subject.


Cell phone cameras and "Point and Shoot" cameras can take photos from very close distances. DSLR cameras can not. It is actually the lens that determines how close you can shoot. Most general purpose lenses have a minimum focus distance of about 9-12 inches. If you need to focus closer you can buy a specialty "Macro" lens which can focus much closer. There are also accessories like "extension tubes" or "close-up filters" that you can add to the lens to allow closer focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...