Wednesday 26 October 2016

photoshop - Stitch first and edit later or vice versa?


I have a set of three images imported in Lightroom 3.6 which I want to stitch into one panorama using Photoshop's CS5.5 Merge to Panorama tool. As I see it I have two options in doing so.




  1. Doing all modifications (colour, brightness, contrast, etc...) first, syncing the changes between the three photos and then stitch them together.





  2. Stitching the photos first and then use Lightroom to apply modification to the whole image.




Which of these two methods is considered to be best practice?



Answer



As a general rule, the stitching program should get the highest possible detail of the images, allowing it to make the best out of it. Therefore, I would not pre-process the images as it might degrade the information.


However, if you have a large amount of input images, it might get difficult to work with the resulting large picture afterwards, due to your PC's memory and CPU constraints. Only then I'd revert to pre-processing.


There's only one situation where I was forced to pre-process: When I had images of varying brightness, due to having taken them close to sunset, and the light getting darker during the panoramic 360 session, so that last image was darker than the first, making it hard to get them properly stitched. In this case, I had to gradually adjust the brightness of all images to make the last one match the first one more closely before stitching them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...