Sunday 2 October 2016

jpeg - Why don't most cameras support PNG format?


I prefer PNG format to JPG, because JPG uses lossy compression.


When I capture a screen in my PC or scan a picture or document in my scanner, I always save them as PNG format.
If a camera could save its data as PNG format, I'd use the feature even if I needed to buy more memory cards.


But I haven't see any camera that does. Why not? Why don't most (or any) cameras support PNG format?


P.S My camera doesn't support RAW.



Answer



The JPEG format has the advantage of giving small files. The RAW formats have the advantage of preserving all the data collected at the shot.


The PNG format gives neither of these advantages, so you don't even get a compromise between the other formats, you get almost only the drawbacks from both formats.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...