Monday 3 October 2016

focus point selection - Why isn't my Canon 70D autofocus accurate in manual zone AF mode with a 50mm f/1.8 lens?


I recently purchased a Canon 70D for its dual pixel autofocusing system and ISO performance. I am in love with this feature rich-camera; however I found the camera's autofocus fails to function correctly with a 50mm 1.8 prime on manual zone AF mode.


The camera's manual single point AF focuses tack-sharp and quick; similarly the complete auto also lives up to its expectations. However when I set the AF method to manual zone select, it fails to result sharp pictures; the focus points get highlighted and shows to have captured the desired point, but when I preview it on my laptop, I see the focus is slightly under calculated (example: subject at 5ft would be focused around 4.8ft), as I mostly shoot with a lower F number to achieve shallow depth, I often get unusable results.


I am on one-shot mode on AF method. If I switch to manual focus on lens and use the zones for reference, I am able to achieve wonderful results.


I borrowed a 50mm prime from other fellow photographers and the issue still persists. Have I got a bad piece of 70D or is there something I am doing wrong?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...