Monday 31 October 2016

lens - Are micro four thirds lenses fully interchangeable between brands?


I'm thinking about switching from DSLR to Micro 4/3, and I've found several brands of cameras and lenses, and I want to know if I buy a camera from a specific brand, will I be stuck to that brand lenses? Or I can mix different camera/lens brands?


My main question is: Will the lenses be fully operational if I mix brands, or I won't have features like AF available?



Answer



You can mix & match lenses from different manufacturers, with just a few caveats.




  • Autofocus will work for all MFT lenses on all MFT bodies (that I am aware of).

  • Image stabilization: Olympus does in-body image stabilization (IBIS), whereas Panasonic bodies prior the GX7 and GX8 placed the image stabilization in the lens. This means that Olympus lenses on older Panasonic bodies will not have any image stabilization; conversely, some combinations of Olympus bodies with Panasonic lenses with hardware image stabilization switches will allow you to choose from either IS (either Olympus IBIS or Panasonic lens IS).

  • Lens correction: in-camera lens correction is not guaranteed to work for all combinations. This is usually a low-impact issue: post-processing with software such as Lightroom can allow you to perform lens corrections.




†: User vclaw helpfully reminded me that the Panasonic Lumix GX7 and GX8 cameras have in-body image stabilization.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...