Monday 18 January 2016

lens - Choosing between Lenses Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II vs Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM


I am considering between these 2 telephoto lenses but I cannot make up my mind on which one to buy. I have read a lot about the pro's and con's of both these lenses.. For example


70-200 f2.8 IS II


PRO's




  • f2.8 across all range

  • clearer sharper pictures with background blur

  • excellent for indoor and low light photography


Cons



  • bulky (1490 grms)

  • price ($2,128.00 on Amazon)



70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM


Pro's



  • Lightweight 1050 grms va 1490 grms for 70-200mm above Size

  • easy to Carry as the zoom lense is retractable in size Zoom

  • 100mm extra zoom as compared to the 70-200 which is excellent for wild life Photography

  • Price ($1,499.00 on Amazon)


Con's




  • f4 (pictures are not as sharp/ crisp as 70-200)

  • May not be such a great camera for indoor low light photography


Lenses I currently own



  • EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM kit lens for my 5D mark iii

  • 50mm f/1.4 USM (which is great for indoor, low light photography)


Reason for my dilemma


On the one hand I like travel photography so carrying the 70-300 all day long should not be an issue as it is compact and reletively light weight.



On the other hand I intend to be go semi-professional i.e taking pictures for occasions such as childrens birthday parties, small family occasions (may be weddings some day) on a part time basis in which case the 70-200 may come in more handy (keeping in mind that i already have a 50mm f/1.4 USM


Could you experts please recommend which of the 2 lenses should I go for?


OR


Should I be looking at something completely different?


OR


Am I suffering from lens lust?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...