Thursday 20 June 2019

neutral density - How bad will the vignetting be if I use a 67mm ND filter on a 82mm lens?


I'm currently looking at the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 lens for my Canon EOS 80D (APS-C). However, one potential problem I see is that my ND-filter set is for 67mm while the Sigma lens has a diameter of 82mm. Of course I can use a step-down ring, but I'm worried that such a large difference in diameter will lead to heavy vignetting. On the other hand, the Sigma DC lenses work for all crop sensors including Nikon's variant at 1,5 CF, whereas my camera has 1,6 CF, so I'm hoping that the image circle of the lens will be slightly larger than the sensor anyway, reducing the vignetting I will get.


How bad will the vignetting be (for ND and other filters)? If you have any example images where this or a comparable combination of equipment was used, that would be great as well!



Answer



The EOS 80D has a sensor measuring 22.3 × 14.9 mm. The lens, at 10mm, on this sensor, takes in a 96° horizontal angle of view. A step-down ring going from a filter diameter of 82mm to 67mm is quite a jump, and, with such a wide angle of view, is going to result in severe, objectionable vignetting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...