Monday 5 June 2017

off camera flash - How can I shoot in a studio at the widest apertures?


I ran into a limitation while shooting a newborn baby this weekend. I was indoors next to a set of windows. I was also using an off camera flash on a stand through an umbrella. The flash was a Canon 430EX, set to manual, 1/64 power. My shot ended up being with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, shot at f/1.8, 1/160sec, ISO 100. The camera is a Canon 6D which has a maximum sync speed of 1/180sec. My problem is that I wanted to push the aperture even further, to f/1.4 or even f/1.2 for even more shallow depth of field. Doing so would have either blown my highlights or pushed my image beyond the sync speed. Later in the shoot, the ambient brightened up a bit, and I was even forced to drop my aperture down to f/2.2. What could I have done differently or should I do in the future to allow these portraits at wider apertures?


Here is the image with EXIF intact: http://www.properspective.com/photos/i-C5W7p9h/0/O/i-C5W7p9h.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...