Thursday 1 June 2017

metadata - Why won't GIMP 2.8 open my long exposure shots?


I'm unable to edit some of my tripod and shutter release shots in GIMP 2.8.10. It only seems to affect the photos taken in bulb (full manual shutter timing) mode, where I have exposure times anywhere between 30 seconds and 8 minutes.


It isn't the actual images that are causing the problem, because if I strip the EXIF data from the photo, it opens fine with Gimp. However, I really don't want to strip the EXIF data, especially the exposure time tag, which could be the source of the problem.


How can I open these images in GIMP without all (or even some) of the meta data on them?



Answer



This would seem to be this acknowledged bug in GIMP; that bug has itself has been closed as a duplicate of this bug, which has been fixed in the development ("master") builds of GIMP by a complete rewrite of the metadata handling. The question I'd more be asking here is why Partha's rebuild mentioned in MBraedley's answer fixes the problem, rather than why it's not working in the official builds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...