Thursday 4 February 2016

Why are my results with a variable neutral density filter poor?


I bought a inexpensive variable neutral density filter, this ND2-ND400 variety. I wasn't expecting a whole lot because of the very low price point, but I think I'm either using it incorrectly or my unit is defective. Do I simply need to back off the maximum filtering setting until the results are acceptable? It seemed to provide very minimal filtering when I reached and acceptable point, maybe ND8 or so. Is this cheap ND filter only usable up to something like ND8? I am shooing with a full frame camera and a 17-40mm lens.


17mm, approximately maximum ND filtering: enter image description here


40mm, approximately maximum ND filtering: enter image description here



17mm, less then maximum ND filtering: enter image description here



Answer



Yes, that cross effect is common with all variable neutral density filters, especially with very wide angle lenses (12-17mm). You'll have to do some combination of zooming out or backing off the maximum density.


I did some experimenting with a mid-range filter in the blog : Marumi ND2-400 Variable ND Filter Review. The effect was almost non-existent at 17mm with that filter, but noticeable at max density at 12mm.


The filter I tested did give roughly 7-8 stops. It was roughly an ND2 at its minimum. You should certainly get better than ND8 from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...