Thursday 4 February 2016

equipment recommendation - Should I upgrade my D40 to a D5100, D90, or D7000?


I've owned a Nikon D40 for about 4 years now, and I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade... just I don't know what camera to upgrade to. I have an upcoming trip to India for a month, and I want to make sure I am well-equipped to take pictures and videos.


The D7000 is my dream camera, and really over my price range but I could splurge if I need to. The D5100 seems good (HD video, a couple of the same specs as D7000), but it doesn't have an built-in auto-focus motor or a 100% viewfinder. The D90 is a bit old and doesn't have as good specs as the D5100, but it does have an auto-focus motor.


I'm a fairly casual photographer, however I like to take advantage of the advanced features in a camera. Apart from my Nikon D40, I have only three other pieces of equipment: two lenses (the cheapest Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses) and an SB-400 flash. So, what camera body would you recommend that I buy? (I'm leaning towards the D5100, but I'm not sure.)


Thanks for the help.



Answer




Did another comparison of these cameras, and if you're don't want to splurge for the D7000, than I would recommend the D5100. It has the same MSRP as the D90, but is much newer, and the specs match or outperform the D90 in nearly all categories:



  • more megapixels (16 vs. 12)

  • higher max ISO (25,600 vs 6,400)

  • 1080p HD movie recording (vs. 720)

  • both have a 3" LCD screen

  • both have 11 AF points

  • both have 3-shot bracketing abilities

  • both have live view



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...