Friday 26 February 2016

software - Do I lose anything converting to DNG?


I'd like to convert all my ARW (Sony) files to DNG for several reasons, but the only thing keeping me back from doing it is the fear of losing useful metadata during the conversion. I know that the image it's self is completely safe during the conversion but what about proprietary maker noteS? Will those stay too? And even if they do, are they actually useful and can be actually used by something other then Sony's own RAW converter?


P.S. I'm using Ubuntu so I'd prefer to use KipiPlugins' DNG converter because from what I understand it does everything the Adobe converter does, but if I'm wrong I can use Adobe's instead.


EDIT:


It looks like the LensID does carry over! With the ARW and the DNG files converted by Kipiplugins' built in converter, info is stored as "Exif.Sony.0x___". With Adobe's official converter, it moves the info to more logically named fields in the XMP, such as "LensID" and "Lens".


Now that I've figured it out, I think I might use Adobe's Official converter, just because I prefer how it reorganizes the Exif Data.


I'm not fully convinced though and I'd like to hear others take on all this.



Answer




Your answer can be found at this forum site, but the short is, you will lose some EXIF information, the lens id in particular, but the normal EXIF will be there (IE, aperture, focal length, exposure time, flash firing).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...