Wednesday 3 February 2016

How do I choose a zoom lens for Canon APS-C?


I know nothing about any of this. From my research, Canon's 70D looks like a good camera body for a retired (31 years) professional photographer (my dad) to "pick the camera back up" in the digital world. This will be his first digital SLR.


For now, I'm seeing some reasonably priced (few hundred bucks) zoom lenses (to 200mm.) Then, there are some just under a grand and "a white one like you see the pros with" for $2300. I suspect for our purposes (mostly documenting family and sports) any of these will do and most discussions of quality are far past anything we would notice.


So, what should I look for and how do I decide? How can I decide it's worth spending a lot to get close to the ideal, and when do I know that a less-expensive compromise will "do just fine for now"?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...