Friday 6 March 2015

file management - Canon 6D resetting folders on card format - a way to stop this?


I have a Canon 6D. The "File Numbering" setting is set to "Continuous", and for the most part, it behaves that way. However, unlike my experience with previous Canon DSLRs (e.g. my Canon 30D), there's a gotcha: When I format a card, the numbering sequence continues, but in the 100CANON folder.


So, for example, I can do this:



  1. Shoot an image - It gets id 0004, within folder 100CANON. On the display, this is listed as 100-0004.

  2. Format card. (Low-level format is off, in case that matters.)

  3. Shoot another image. It gets id 100-0005. Continuing, as I would expect.

  4. From the File Numbering menu, select Manual Reset.

  5. Shoot an image. This now gets id 101-0001. It's in the 101CANON folder. As I would expect, after the Manual Reset (There's also Select Folder -> Create folder, though that only changes the folder number, and the image number remains contiguous. If I did this at this point, and selected the newly-created folder, I'd get 102-0002, not 102-0001, which a Manual Reset would give me.)


  6. Format card.

  7. Shoot again. I'm now at 100-0002. So, it continued the image sequence, but reset the folder.


What I would like to have happen, instead of what I get in step 7, is to continue with the same folder number, as well, and thus get image 101-0002. With the canon 30D, this was what I got... and I could expect to combine the folder number and the image number together (as is done on the display during in-camera playback) to get a unique number across the life of this camera - provided I don't roll over past folder 999CANON.


Is this a bug? Is this something I can change somehow, in a menu item I'm not seeing? Is there a good workaround - perhaps re-formatting the card on the computer after extraction, and creating folders as needed, instead of doing it in-camera? (Would that get me into trouble? Some indications in this question seem to indicate that in-camera formatting is preferred, though there's not a clear explanation of why.) What if I skip doing "format", and simply erase all the files (leaving folders intact), either from the computer, or with 'Erase all images on card'? Will either of those be problematic in some way?


Anyway, the latter seems to work... removing all images (either from the computer (leaving the folders - or at least the last one - in place), or from the camera), without formatting the card (in either place), seems to keep my numbering doing what I want it to. I suppose I'll adopt this workaround (also known as a change in behavior; I grew accustomed to following the advice to "always format"). However, if anyone knows of a way to get the folder numbering to not reset in this way (or Canon, if you're listening, and could add such an option, or revert to your past behavior), that would be great to hear about.


I got 10,000 images (or so) into my use of this camera before noticing this problem... I look forward to having future photos have unique IDs, even if I got some overlap between the first time I formatted after rolling to 101CANON, and my early use of the camera. My import scripts renumber things based on folder number (and camera serial number, thus giving me a globally-for-me unique ID, in theory), so I'll maybe go manually renumber the almost 2000 images I shot before figuring this out (and/or before finding a solution), and I'll switch to "Erase all" from here on, and/or set something up to format and then re-create the folders, if that really does seem necessary for some reason.



Answer



Sadly, this seems to no longer be possible.


Posting an answer with the workaround I'm going with, though, so I can "accept" something (because I don't quite want to go with the other answer that's been given yet - though it does present other viable workarounds that some could use, and I welcome other answers, if folks have them):



Instead of doing a "format" each time, do an "Erase all images on card". This will leave the folder names intact, and the camera will continue to increase the combination of folder number and image number monotonically (until folder number gets to 999, and image number to 9999; after that, it resets).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...