Sunday 13 October 2019

equipment recommendation - Getting ready to buy an entry-level Canon dSLR — should I skip the kit lens?




Possible Duplicate:

Should I buy a camera with kit lens, or body plus lens separately?



My wife and I are amateur photographers and we are upgrading from a Canon 20D. We will be using the camera for a variety of subjects. She likes to do portrait work with the kids and I like to shoot Motorsports. We both use the camera when we are on vacation and like to shoot everything from landscapes to close ups of interesting things.


It looks like I can get the Canon T2i with either an 18-55 or an 18-135 kit lens.


I think I'd like to end up with a 50mm 1.8, a 10-22 EF-S, and a 70-200 F4 L.


The 18-55 is small and light and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get it for a walk-around zoom lens. It only costs $100 in the price of the kit.


The 18-135 seems like it might be a bit bulky to use as a walk-around lens, and adds $300 to the price of the body. It is worth considering?



Answer



Option 1
Get the T2i and a 50 1.8. You'll never even use that kit lens if you had the 50mm, so skip it. The Rebel kit lenses are good enough to document a crime, but you're not going to mount yours unless you absolutely have to and even then, you'll be trying your hardest to use the 50mm. I don't understand why Best Buy and these big box stores don't carry the 50 1.8. I'd even go as far as saying Canon should offer a Rebel + 50 1.8 kit, although a good 35 1.8, like what Nikon offers, would be even better.



Option 2
Get the T2i, 28-135 and a 50 1.8, The 28-135 is the 50D and 7D's kit lens. It's really not a bad lens at all. Pretty sharp. Color and contrast is "okay." These are around $400 new, but there are tons of practically brand new ones online from people who are dumping their 50D/7D kit lens. It's a useful focal length range, too.


Either way, I like your plan; the 10-22, 50 1.8 and 70-200 f/4L. That's a really good setup for the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...