Thursday 10 October 2019

Sports Photography




I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with a zoom lens EF 75-300mm.


What I am trying to do is take pictures of my son on the soccer field. I would love not to have the blur face just some really nice pics. He’s fast so I need something to handle action.


Games are anywhere from midday for club soccer and early evening for high school soccer. The zoom lens all the way out leaves face blurry or I might as well use my iPhone. What I want is to be able to sit in bleachers, zoom in on my player, and get facial features - not look like I’m using a disposable.


I don’t know if I can buy a lens for this camera - if so what type of lens should I get? Or do I just buy a whole new camera with lenses. I want to purchase within the next month so I can practice before games begin. I’m tired of taking what could have been fantastic pics.



Answer



Do not buy anything yet.




  1. Post an image of your resulting images at 300mm Let us see your Exif information. There is a chance the blurriness is because of camera shake.





  2. Make some tests shoots to yourself and define what is the maximum noise on high ISO you are willing to accept.




  3. Practice your technique holding the camera. Use the ISO defined in (2) and open the diaphragm all the way.




  4. Make some test shots with a tripod, to discard camera shake.





  5. See if that improves your images.




  6. After that analysis, only then, consider purchasing new gear. You now will have a clear idea of what you need, and what to expect.




    • Longer focal length? Twice of that?




    • Faster lens? A wider aperture? Twice of that?





    • Sharper lens? What length and aperture?




    • Bigger sensor twice as big? A new camera body?




    • Less noise? a new camera body with better noise on high sensitivity?





    • A portable tripod?




    • Better seats next time you go to a game?




    • A combo of all previous ones?





    • Encouraging your kid to play chess instead? :o)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...