Saturday 12 October 2019

black and white - B&W Negative Tray Developing: Uneven Development


Shooting on an old Graphlex Speed Graphic 4x5 using tray development I am having consistent problems with uneven development, noticeable especially in the skies.


Update: I get perfectly even development with either developer/time combo listed below when I use a tank.


I am developing in trays. My trays are 5x7, plastic and have channels, not ridges. I ensure my chemicals are always exactly 20 degrees celsius.



My normal technique (though I have varied this: see notes below)





  1. submerge the negative emulsion side up, and rock the tray 10 times each minute of development




  2. move it to a stop bath for about 1 minute with constant agitation,




  3. move it to a fixing bath for 4 minutes, rocking the tray 10 times each minute




  4. wash it for about 5 minutes





  5. submerge it in a quick wetting agent bath before hang drying it.





Variations I've tried that have resulted in uneven development:



  • Films: Arista EDU 100 and Ilford Delta 100.

  • Lenses: Ektar 127mm and Schneider Super Angulon 90mm.


  • Developers:

    • Ilfosol 3 (1:9) at 5 minutes and 7.4 minutes

    • Kodak D-76 developer (1:1) at 10 minutes



  • Fixer:

    • 4 minutes with fresh fixer.

    • Extended "re-fixing" for 10+ minutes with fresh fixer.




  • Agitation: Periodic and regular agitation.


What could be causing this uneven development?


Scanned Examples


These are from a cloudless day. I've darkened them to emphasize the uneven sky.



  1. Arista EDU 100, Ilfosol 3 for 5 minutes with periodic agitation.



enter image description here



  1. Arista EDU 100, D-76 for 10 minutes with periodic agitation.


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...