Saturday 28 July 2018

storage - How can I backup my RAW photos while travelling without Internet access?


This question seems similar to this one, but my needs are different :



  • I shoot in RAW exclusively


  • I'm looking for a 100% offline solution: while traveling, Internet won't be accessible

  • the "laptop" solution is too heavy for me: I'm looking for a lightweight solution

  • the simplest, the better: one device to rule them all


EDIT: I'm using good old Compact Flash cards (yes, the bigger ones), so I need a device that can read it. If it can read from other cards, this question might be interesting for more people than myself - that's the whole purpose of the website.




Also asked by Rafal Ziolkowski:


Portable Storage Device while traveling


I need storage device which is able to read CF cards and make a backup of my photos while traveling. I do not want to carry laptop (it's bulky) and tablet (too little storage) but looking into some other solutions.


So far I found:




  • Epson PXXXX - price is blocker for me

  • Jobo Giga Vu - same as above

  • Nexto DI - bit better, but still a lot

  • Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA - this looks the best for price/options

  • Wolwerine PicPac - cheap, bad opinions

  • DigitalFoci PhotoSafe - same as above

  • Ex-Pro® Picture 2 Drive - didn't find much about it


So ladys & gents what do you use?




Answer



In 2010 I said: If I'm feeling paranoid about backing up, I use a Nexto DI, which can backup a card directly to its own internal drive. It reads CF/SD/SDHC, doubles as a USB2/external SATA drive, and is much faster than most of the other similar products I could find. (There are a bunch of similar products available, but this one had the best reviews at the time, about 6 months ago.)


Edited in 2016 to add: these days, I use a RavPower FileHub Plus and any random portable HDD (e.g. a WD MyPassport, of which I have half a dozen already). Copying files from the SD card to to HDD is done via a mobile app on my phone; there are many such apps, but I use the RavPower one. The HDD can be replaced as storage gets bigger and cheaper. And the FileHub is also a WiFi hub and a portable battery, which comes in very handy. It's a bit fiddlier - two small devices and a mobile app, instead of a single slightly larger device with an integrated UI - but it's dead cheap and seems much more future-proof than the Nexto DI.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...