Tuesday 17 July 2018

dslr - What kind of camera do I get for my class?


I'm starting in a semester-long "Intro to Digital Photography Class" and I'm completely new to anything photography-related. The most experience I have with picture taking is on my cell phone. That being said, my professor gave a list of requirements for the camera we're supposed to get, and doing google research is getting me nowhere.



He wants us to purchase a Digital DSLR camera with "manual shooting mode", and he lists "(manual controls for: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and color balance)" and that shoots in RAW or DNG file format. (related but unrelated, he lists that it should have a charger, upload cable, batteries, and memory cards)


I'm attempting to find a type of camera that fits these requirements but the camera descriptions online don't seem to go into enough detail as to whether or not the camera has these features. Preferably I'd want the camera to be within the price range of $300-$600 (he says that a camera of this description is typically at least $300) and I need an answer ASAP as I need to get the camera this week. Thanks!



Answer



Some point and shoot cameras lack the manual controls and RAW capture mode required, but I don't think any DSLRs were ever made without them.. So, these basic requirements will be met by any digital SLR. Pick one you like and can afford and there you go. You really can't go wrong; despite a lot of hand-wringing on Internet forums, all DSLRs made today are excellent.


You might check with the instructor to find if a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses (like those from Fujifilm or Olympus) are also acceptable; these would fit everything except the SLR part. Or you could not worry about that and just happily pick up the DSLR.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...