Wednesday 18 July 2018

legal - How do I copyright my photographs?


What exactly, if anything, do I need to do in order to copyright my photographs?


I have done some research into this topic and find a wide range of answers. Some articles on the web are stating that no action is needed while others detail a lengthy process in order to copyright images.


Another resources (I don't have the link) stated that I can include a "© 2007 yournamehere" as it tells everyone that "yourname" hereby declares copyright ownership of this photo since 2007.


I am not sure what to make of it all at this point.



Answer



Simply put you don't have to do anything to "copyright" your photographs, as the creator the image is yours, you automatically own the copyright, which is short for the right to copy.



You can optionally register your copyright (via the lengthy process in your link, varies from country to country). All this does is make it easier to claim damages if your copyright is breached.


Adding (c) yourname year is not strictly necessary but it



  • Identifies you as the author.

  • Provides someone a means to contact you (or at least look you up) if they wish to license the image.

  • At least reminds people viewing the image that it is subject to copyright.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...