Sunday 8 July 2018

How do I position a watermark so that it looks good and does not spoil my image?


I was just editing one of my pics yesterday using Adobe Lightroom and watermarking it after I had finished editing it. I tried out different positions and angles while placing the watermark but most of them seemed to either block something or the other in the image or not allow the watermark to be seen otherwise. Could you suggest me what to look out for while positioning my watermark so that it does not spoil my work and looks good at the same time?



Answer



Most people use watermarks to prevent the photo from being used by other people without consent. The best way to do it is to have it on the actual subject itself, but at a very low opacity. Once the photographer decides to sell/give the photograph away, he can always share the hi-res image without the watermark.


Having said that, it you want to have a watermark just to identify your images, then you can place it in a corner and reduce the opacity to about 10-15% so that it does not distract you from the image (example). Another thing you can do is to have a frame around the image and put your watermark there (example).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...