Wednesday 18 July 2018

lighting - Overhead shot over a glossy suface


Disclaimer: absolute beginner to photography.


Ok, so as I start learning the basics of product photography by browsing the web + trial & error, I came across one problem.


I want to closely match the lighting of the following shot, Isometric view of product on a glossy surface


but from an overhead angle. Since the shot is taken on a reflective (black) surface, the somewhat obvious problem I get is that from an overhead angle, the camera's reflection can be seen in the shot.


Here's an example of the reflection on the same surface as above. I tried playing a little bit with the distance, position, and number of lights. The reflection is always there with the combinations i tried.


I'm open to setup suggestions (buying other surfaces/lights). At the moment, I have 2 tabletop lamps, and one softbox overhead. All three are continuous lights.



Example of reflection


My question is, what kind of surface/lighting combination could I use to achieve a similar 'cloudy' look of the background from an overhead angle. I am at a loss so any suggestion is more than welcome. I'm looking for setup examples, if possible. Thank you.


P.S. What is the correct term for describing the light appearance I showed? I couldn't come up with anything better than 'cloudy'.


Edit 1: Added example shot. Edit 2: Emphaiszed my question.



Answer



You can't change the laws of physics. One of them is that, in terms of reflections, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. If your camera's optical axis is 90° with respect to a reflective surface, you're going to see a reflection of the camera. The only way to change this is to either:


1) Change the angle away from 90° enough that the reflection is out of the camera's field of view.
2) Use a type of 'two-way' mirror to prevent the reflection of the camera by shooting through a translucent glass.
3) Use a non-reflective surface for your background.
4) Use a long enough focal length that allows you to shoot with the camera far enough away that the entire reflection of the camera is masked by the non-reflective items sitting on the reflective surface.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...