Wednesday 21 January 2015

Nikon D300s, Tamron 70-200 2.8 lens, Suggestions for low light settings for Gymnastics and HS soccer,


I have a Nikon D300S and have been taking pictures of my son's soccer team since they were 10. Well, this past fall I was really having a hard time with capturing decent pictures, was using a 70-300 4.5, but my fantabulous soccer families presented me with a new Tamron 70-200 2.8 lens, so I am trying to play with settings. I tried taking shots of indoor soccer last night, and well, I wasn't very happy with them. I am going to a gymnastics competition (which I have never been to nor taken pictures of) to do more testing. I know two different events and picture taking scenarios, but at least it gives me a little more time to play. But any advice I could receive, I would greatly appreciate it.


The camera I was unhappy with was the D300S with a 55-300 4.5-5.6. As it became darker, the pictures would be very grainy during the game. When I took OK pictures for the senior banners, when the graphic artist enlarged the pictures, we noticed crosses all over the pictures. These were taken outside - the graphic artist indicated he had never seen something like it. As far as settings for games, I created a bank with the settings from this post:
http://johnfriend.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikon-d300-auto-focus-for-sports-i.html?m=1


When my son and his teammates were 10, I had a Coolpix, and obviously as they got older, I used a different camera. I am stuck thinking there may be an issue with the D300S (i.e. the cross in the picture) and debating if I should get a different camera, or of course user error. This fall is the only time I have had issues with the grainy pictures, or the crosses, or even some pictures appearing pixelated.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...