Sunday 2 February 2020

flash - How to get beautiful even and soft lighting on face?


How do I get bright even and soft light on a face like this?


enter image description here



Image taken from this link


I got the exact same equipment but I wasn't able to reproduce the result.


First I tried lighting it from the side and I got this:


enter image description here


As you can see, it is not even at all. There are a lot of hotspots. Even on the right side where the hotspot is less apparent it is not even.


Then I thought maybe I should avoid side lighting, just like in the original video, I did a traditional clam shell style with a reflector at the bottom. I got this:


enter image description here


It seems to be a bit better, but it still doesn't have that even look.


Any ideas, what I am missing?


About my my setup:



Camera is in manual mode f/9, 1/250, ISO500


That setting avoided most of the ambient light.


The softbox is the exact one in that link. 26″ Rapid Box Octa. It has a deflector plate inside, and a diffuser fabric at the front.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...