Thursday 6 February 2020

35mm - Got back my film - Nikon FM2 missing shots, blue marks, what happened?


I'm shooting a Nikon FM2 (35mm) with Kodak Vision3 500T (24 exp) repurposed film from The Film Photography Project.


I got scans back (26 images). There's some blue lines - I imagine that those are due to the friction I heard when trying to advance the film in my camera.



Something else - I'm missing a large portion of the end of my shoot. I don't remember looking at the film counter when shooting - I just kept advancing the film until it wouldn't let me anymore, thinking the slight friction that I was feeling/hearing was due to the stiffer movie stock film. It's possible I went past 24 and continued until the camera wouldn't let me advance anymore. There are no multiple exposures on any of the images I received back, though I guess it's possible, if unlikely, that they exist and the lab just didn't send them to me.


What happened to the rest of the 'shots'? I am guessing that some sort of camera error occurred to where I was no longer shooting anything at a certain point, since the shots I'm missing are all in a big chunk at the end.


I had two rolls - and I remember switching rolls at some point, but I'm fairly certain I only took 3 shots on the most recent roll. The camera counter said that, at least. I guess it's possible that the counter was broken and all of the missing 'shots' are on that second roll. I don't think that this is the case - certain details that I remember about the shoot suggest this isn't what happened. I haven't gotten the second roll of film developed, but might based on the advice I hear here.


I'm lost as to what may have happened here. This was for a shoot over a month ago so my memory is a bit hazy, but I know I'm missing a large portion of the shoot (I estimate 8-12 photos) - and that it was towards the end. Any help would be appreciated!


edit: this is bulk loaded film. I've read that it's difficult to tell when it 'stops'. Is this the issue and how would I prevent this in the future?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...